You’ve probably heard of NSAIDs before. They’re non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, otherwise known as common painkillers like Motrin. What you may not have known is that they can be toxic to pets! Learn more below from a vet New Orleans, LA.

Cause of Poisoning

NSAIDs inhibit cyclooxygenase enzymes, or COX enzymes, which cause pain. So, when these enzymes are inhibited, the patient feels less pain. The problem is that too much inhibition can lead to harmful side effects, like damage to the intestinal lining and reduced blood flow to the kidneys.


A pet suffering from NSAID poisoning might exhibit lethargy, drooling, pale gums, vomiting and diarrhea (possibly bloody), and even collapse, seizures, or death if treatment isn’t started quickly.

Treatment and Prevention Tips

Rush your pet to the emergency room if you think they might have ingested NSAIDs. When caught early, the stomach may be flushed or activated charcoal might be given to slow the toxin’s absorption. If a pet is already experiencing kidney damage, steps like fluid therapy and even blood transfusions might be necessary.

Keep your pet safe by tightly restricting their access to any and all medications. Consult your veterinarian New Orleans, LA for further safety advice.