You’re probably aware that chocolate isn’t good for pets. In fact, it’s one of the most common and dangerous pet poisons out there! Learn more about chocolate toxicity and pets in this article from a veterinarian Lakewood Ranch, FL.


Chocolate of all types—dark, milk, semi-sweet, baking chocolate, powdered chocolate, etc.—contains caffeine and theobromine, stimulant chemicals that have a negative effect on your pet’s body. And other sweets that contain chocolate, like pies or cookies, can prove equally dangerous.


The symptoms of chocolate poisoning include drooling, elevated heart rate, hyperactivity or restlessness, increased urination and thirst, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t administered quickly—seizures, collapse, and even death.


Rush your pet to the emergency room if you know or suspect that they’ve ingested chocolate in any from. Quick treatment is the best way to avoid long-term damage! Your pet’s stomach may be flushed, or activated charcoal is sometimes given to absorb the remaining toxin in the gut. A pet recovering from toxicity might need fluid replacement and close monitoring.

Prevent the problem entirely by keeping chocolate of all types out of your pet’s reach. And call your vet clinic Lakewood Ranch, FL for more tips!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Post Navigation