You’ve probably taken acetaminophen yourself, even if you didn’t know it—this common painkiller is more commonly known as Tylenol, its brand name. But did you know that it can prove highly dangerous for pets? Learn more here from a veterinarian Virginia Beach, VA.


The symptoms of acetaminophen poisoning are likely to appear in your pet within a few hours of ingestion—that’s why quick treatment is so important. Symptoms include discolored gums, drooling, appetite loss, dark or discolored urine, stomach pain, vomiting, and even coma and death.


If you know or think your pet has ingested acetaminophen, rush them to the vet’s office. The stomach may be flushed, or vomiting might be induced. In cases of severe poisoning, blood transfusions might be needed. Pets recovering from acetaminophen poisoning will likely need fluid replacement therapy and other supportive care measures in order to return to full health.

Preventing Poisoning at Home

Clearly, preventing acetaminophen poisoning initially is far preferable to treating it. Do this by keeping any and all medications—including those prescribed to your pet—out of Fido or Fluffy’s reach, ideally in a locked medicine cabinet.

To learn more, call your vet clinic Virginia Beach, VA.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Post Navigation