Chocolate is a tasty treat for humans. It’s very bad for pets, though. In fact, it’s one of the most dangerous pet toxins out there. Learn more about chocolate poisoning in pets from your veterinarian Wichita, KS. 


The symptoms of chocolate poisoning are caused by theobromine and caffeine, stimulant chemicals found in chocolate that don’t agree with pets. Symptoms include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t given fast—coma and even death.


Rush your pet to the emergency room if you know or suspect that they’ve ingested chocolate of any type. The stomach may be flushed, or activated charcoal might be given to absorb the toxin remaining in the gut. A pet recovering from poisoning may need supportive measures like fluid therapy. 

How to Prevent the Issue

Prevent chocolate poisoning by restricting your pet’s access to all types of chocolate—dark, semi-sweet, baking chocolate, milk chocolate, and others all contain the dangerous chemicals—as well as foods that contain chocolate, like cakes, pies, or cookies. Store these foods in safe spots where pets can’t reach.

Want to learn more about chocolate poisoning and your pet? Call your animal hospital Wichita, KS to speak with the professionals. We’re here for you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Post Navigation