Xylitol is a rather common pet toxin—it’s an artificial sugar found in many candies, gums, and toothpastes, among other products. What do you need to be on the lookout for, and how can you prevent poisoning? Learn more below from a veterinarian Tampa, FL.

Symptoms of Poisoning

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning can appear in as little as 30 minutes after ingestion, and it only takes a few grams of the poison to cause adverse health symptoms. Pets may experience lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without prompt treatment—seizures, coma, and even death.

Treatment

A pet who has ingested xylitol should be rushed to the nearest veterinary emergency room. There, the stomach may be flushed, or activated charcoal may be given to stop further absorption of the toxin in the stomach. As a pet recovers, supportive techniques like fluid therapy, oxygen supplementation, and more might be necessary.

Prevention Tips

Clearly, it’s easiest and safest to prevent xylitol poisoning entirely. Do so by tightly restricting your pet’s access to candy and gum, as well as other products that contain xylitol. Never leave these items out on countertops where pets could reach them!

To learn more, contact your vet clinic Tampa, FL.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Post Navigation