Xylitol is an artificial sweetener often used in candy, gum, and certain baked goods. It’s extremely toxic for pets, even in small amounts. Below, your Indianapolis, IN veterinarian tells you about the symptoms and treatment of xylitol poisoning, as well as how to prevent dangerous episodes.

Symptoms

Symptoms of xylitol poisoning usually appear in as little as 30 minutes after ingestion. They include weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures. Without treatment, coma and death can occur.

Treatment

Quick treatment is essential in an episode of xylitol poisoning, so rush your animal companion to your local veterinary emergency room if you see or suspect they’ve ingested xylitol. Your veterinarian will induce vomiting to rid your pet’s body of the poison, and IV fluid therapy and extended hospitalization may be necessary to return your pet to full health.

Prevention

Obviously, preventing an episode of xylitol poisoning is easier than dealing with it after the fact. Never leave candy, gum, or baked goods sweetened with xylitol out on kitchen counters or tabletops where pets could swipe them down. Instead, store toxic substances inside closed cabinets or the refrigerator.

Call your Indianapolis, IN vet for more advice on preventing pet poisoning episodes in your home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Post Navigation