Grapes and their dried counterparts, raisins, aren’t good for pets. And it turns out that no one really knows why—scientists haven’t been able to determine the precise element of these fruits that harms animals. But they’re very dangerous! Learn more here from a vet Aurora, CO. 

Symptoms of Poisoning

The symptoms of grape or raisin poisoning include loss of appetite, lethargy, abdominal pain, dehydration, and vomiting, and diarrhea. If left untreated, a pet can go into full-blown kidney failure.  

Treatment

Of course, you’ll want to rush your pet to the emergency room if you know or suspect that they’ve eaten grapes or raisins. Time is of the essence! Your vet may induce vomiting or have the stomach flushed, and fluid replacement therapy or other supportive measures might be necessary as a pet recovers. 

How to Prevent the Problem

Prevent grape or raisin toxicity by restricting your pet’s access to these fruits. It’s as simple as not leaving them out on countertops or the kitchen table, where a pet might be able to wipe them down. Store harmful foods in containers, cabinets, or the refrigerator. 

Call your animal hospital Aurora, CO to learn more about grape and raisin toxicity in pets.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Post Navigation