You’re probably already aware that pets shouldn’t have chocolate. That goes for all kinds of chocolate—milk, dark, semi-sweet, baking chocolate, powdered varieties, etc. But why is chocolate so bad? Learn more here from animal hospital Jacksonville, FL. 

Symptoms

Chocolate of all types contains caffeine and theobromine, stimulant chemicals that don’t agree with our pets. Symptoms include lethargy, drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, and—without quick treatment—seizures, coma, and even death.

Treatment

If you know or suspect that your pet has ingested chocolate or a food that contains chocolate, it’s important to act quickly. Rush them to the vet’s office. Your pet’s stomach may need to be flushed, and activated charcoal is sometimes given to slow the poison’s absorption in the stomach. A pet recovering from chocolate poisoning might need fluid replacement, oxygen supplementation, and other supportive care.

Preventing Poisoning at Home

Obviously, you’ll want to prevent chocolate poisoning if at all possible. This is as simple as storing any and all sweet treats, chocolate included, in cabinets, containers, or the refrigerator. That way, pets can’t gain access to something harmful. 

Talk to your professional veterinarians Jacksonville, FL to learn more about chocolate poisoning in pets and how to keep your companion safe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Post Navigation