Onions are common in the human culinary world, and you probably have onions in some form or another in your home right now. Did you know they’re toxic to animals? Learn more here from a veterinarian Ellicott City, MD.

What Makes Onions Poisonous?

Onions, as well as other foods in the allium family like chives, leeks, scallions, shallots, and garlic, contain sulfur compounds that are the root cause of the danger. Too much of these foods can cause weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, and more. To make matters worse, symptoms will probably be delayed by hours or even days.

What if My Pet Ingests Onion?

If you know or suspect that your pet has eaten onions or a similar food, take them to the closest veterinary emergency room. Activated charcoal may be given to slow the toxin’s absorption, or your pet’s stomach may be flushed. Pets recovering from onion poisoning might need fluid therapy and other supportive measures.

How Do I Prevent Poisoning?

Prevent poisoning by restricting your pet’s access to onions and other allium family foods. This goes for all types of onions—cooked, raw, red, powdered, green, etc.!

Learn more about onion poisoning by calling your animal hospital Ellicott City, MD.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Post Navigation