It’s likely that there are already several foods in your kitchen that are dangerous for your four-legged friend. That’s why it’s important to keep your pet away from harmful human food! Here, your Marietta, GA vet tells you about three of the most common offenders.
Did you know that onions, as well as other foods in the same “family” like garlic, chives, leeks, scallions, and shallots, are highly toxic to animals? They can cause deadly hemolytic anemia, a condition in which your pet’s red blood cells burst. Keep a close eye on all onions and related foods!
Chocolate, of course, is a very common pet toxin. Other sweets aren’t safe either, as they’re often sweetened with an artificial sugar called xylitol. Xylitol is highly toxic to animals and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even death if treatment isn’t prompt.
Grapes and Raisins
It’s still not known why grapes and raisins are toxic to pets, and some pets seem to be able to ingest them without incident. Still, it’s not worth the risk! Never let your pet eat these fruits.
There are much more toxic foods out there—call your animal hospital Marietta, GA to learn more.