Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s one of the most common and dangerous poisons for pets out there! Xylitol is an artificial sugar found in candy, gum, toothpaste, and other household items. Below, your veterinarians Fort Collins, CO tells you about the symptom and treatment, as well as how to prevent the issue entirely.


Xylitol symptoms may appear in as little as 30 minutes after ingestion. They include drooling, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, collapse, and—without treatment—seizures, coma, and even death.


If you know or suspect that your pet has eaten a product containing xylitol, rush them to the vet’s office immediately. The stomach may be need to be flushed, and pets often need supportive measures like fluid replacement, oxygen supplementation, and more to fully recover.

Prevention Tips

Fortunately, preventing xylitol poisoning is easy. Never leave candy, gum, toothpaste, or any other substances that contain the artificial sweetener out on countertops or tables, where pets may be able to swipe it down. Store these products inside closed cabinets or containers to restrict pets’ access entirely.

To learn more about xylitol and how it affects pets, call your pet clinic Fort Collins, CO. We’re always here to help!