Did you know that onions—as well as other members of the allium family of foods like garlic, chives, leeks, scallions, and shallots—are toxic to dogs? They may harm cats as well, but our canine companions are the most commonly affected! Learn more here from a Livonia, MI vet.


The symptoms of onion poisoning usually appear a day or more after initial ingestion. Symptoms include weakness, uncoordinated movements, vomiting and diarrhea, discolored urine, and excessive salivation. Since the poisonous compound attacks your pet’s red blood cells, deadly anemia can result without treatment.


Rush your dog to the emergency room if you know or suspect that he’s ingested onions. The stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be given to stop the toxin’s absorption in your pet’s system. Fluid therapy and other measures might be necessary as your dog recovers.


Prevent onion poisoning by keeping them, as well as all other related foods, stored inside sealed containers or cabinets where your dog can’t reach. Keep Fido out of the kitchen entirely when cooking.

Would you like more tips on toxic foods for dogs? We’re here to help. Contact your animal hospital Livonia, MI today.