You’re probably already aware that chocolate shouldn’t be given to pets. In fact, it’s one of the most dangerous pet poisons out there! Here, your animal hospital Ellicott City, MD gives you a crash course in chocolate poisoning, how it’s treated, and how to avoid it in the first place.
Symptoms of Poisoning
Chocolate of all types contains caffeine and theobromine, stimulating chemicals that aren’t good for your pet. Symptoms include drooling, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t given quickly—collapse, coma, and even death.
Treatment for Chocolate Poisoning
Rush your pet to the emergency room if you know or even suspect that they’ve ingested chocolate. Their stomach may need to be flushed, and activated charcoal is sometimes given to slow the toxin’s absorption in the gut. A pet recovering from poisoning may need fluid therapy to remain hydrated, as well as other supportive measures like oxygen supplementation.
How to Prevent the Problem
Preventing chocolate poisoning is, of course, far preferable to treating it. Do this by storing any and all sweet treats in areas where pets can’t reach—in cabinets, containers, or the refrigerator, for example.
Want to learn more about pet safety at home? Contact your veterinary clinic Ellicott City, MD today.