As you likely know, chocolate is very bad for our animal companions. It’s one of the most common and dangerous pet toxins out there! Your Savannah, GA veterinarian tells you about chocolate poisoning below:

Symptoms

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning include drooling, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without prompt treatment—collapse, coma, and death. All types of chocolate can cause poisoning, as well as foods containing chocolate (cookies, cakes, etc.)

Treatment

If you know or suspect that your pet has ingested chocolate, rush them to a veterinary emergency room. There, the stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be administered to stop the poison’s absorption in your pet’s stomach. Supportive measures like fluid replacement or even oxygen supplementation might be necessary as your pet recovers.

Prevention

Of course, it’s easiest to prevent chocolate poisoning entirely. Do this by tightly restricting your pet’s access to it—store chocolate goodies inside closed cabinets or the refrigerator, where your pet won’t have a chance to reach it. Keep a close eye on your animal companion if you’ve set out a tray of chocolates for guests.

For more information on chocolate poisoning and pets, give your vet Savannah, GA a call today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Post Navigation