Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s found in many of the candies and baked goods that you eat! Xylitol is a common artificial sugar substitute, and it’s highly toxic to pets. Here, your Mattoon, IL veterinarian tells you more.

Symptoms

If a pet ingests a xylitol product, symptoms like depression, vomiting, and diarrhea may present themselves within 30 minutes or less. Without treatment, a pet may experience seizures, coma, and even death. If you think your pet has ingested a product containing xylitol, rush them to your veterinary emergency room.

Treatment

A veterinarian may induce vomiting to rid a pet’s system of the toxin, or administer activated charcoal to slow the toxin’s absorption in the stomach. Fluid therapy, electrolyte replacement, and other treatments may be necessary to return your pet to full health.

Preventing Poisoning

Of course, it’s easier to prevent xylitol poisoning entirely than deal with it after the fact. It’s as simple as restricting your pet’s access to products like candies, gums, and baked goods that contain xylitol. Put these foods inside cabinets or the refrigerator where pets can’t reach them.

Ask your Mattoon, IL vet for more information on xylitol and its harmful effects on pets.