Suffering a rash from poison ivy, oak, or sumac is no fun for humans. The question is, can pets suffer in the same way? The answer is yes, pets can get a poison ivy rash, although it isn’t very likely. Learn more below from a veterinarian Murrieta, CA.


The main symptom of contact with poison ivy is a red, itchy rash, just like the one you get. You might also see blistering and swelling around the affected area. The rash is most likely to occur on areas of the body that aren’t totally covered by fur, since your pet’s hair protects the irritating substance from reaching the skin in most areas.


If your pet does suffer from a poison ivy rash, ask your vet about the appropriate shampoo to bathe them with. Using a medicated shampoo or an oatmeal shampoo will usually do the trick and get rid of the irritating agent against your pet’s skin. Let your vet know if this doesn’t work, though.


Obviously, it’s easiest to avoid poison plants in the first place. Watch out for shiny, three-leaved plants and have your pet stay away!

Call your animal hospital Murrieta, CA for more information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Post Navigation