As you probably know, chocolate is very bad for our animal friends! It’s one of the most common and dangerous pet poisons out there. Learn more below from a Greensboro, NC veterinarian.

Symptoms

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning include drooling, uncoordinated movements, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without treatment—seizures, coma, or even death. That’s why it’s important to rush your pet to the nearest veterinary emergency room as soon as you suspect or know they’ve eaten chocolate.

Treatment

A pet may be given activated charcoal to slow the poison’s absorption in the stomach, or the stomach may be flushed to rid the system of the toxin entirely. It’s likely that supportive measures like oxygen supplementation or fluid therapy will be needed as your pet recovers.

Prevention

Preventing chocolate poisoning is easy—it’s just a matter of restricting your pet’s access to all sweets at all times. This goes for all types of chocolate, including dark, semi-sweet, milk, white, and even baking chocolates. Store these foods inside cabinets or the refrigerator so that your pet won’t be able to gain access.

Want more information on toxic human foods for pets? Call your Vet Greensboro, NC for advice from the professionals.