Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s an artificial sugar used in many candies, gums, and certain baked items, and it’s highly toxic for pets! Learn more below from an Omaha, NE vet.


Symptoms of xylitol poisoning usually manifest within 30 minutes of ingestion. They include lethargy, drooling, uncoordinated movements, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without treatment—seizures and collapse. If a pet isn’t treated, death can occur.

Treating Poisoning

If you know or suspect that your pet has consumed a product containing xylitol, act quickly. Rush them to your nearest veterinary emergency room—your vet may induce vomiting or give your pet activated charcoal to slow the toxin’s absorption in the stomach. As your animal friend recovers, supportive measures like oxygen supplementation or fluid replacement may be needed.

Prevention Tips

Fortunately, preventing xylitol poisoning in your pet is as easy as restricting their access to any and all products that contain it. Never leave candy, gum, or any other sweets out on countertops or tables where crafty pets may be able to gain access. Instead, store sweets in cabinets or containers where pets can’t reach.

Does your pet need veterinary attention? Make an appointment at your Vet Clinic Omaha, NE.