Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s an artificial sweetener often used in candy, gum, and certain baked goods, and it’s highly toxic to our animal friends! Learn more here from your Hinesville, GA veterinarian.

Symptoms of Poisoning

Generally, the symptoms of xylitol poisoning appear within 30 minutes of ingestion, varying slightly depending on the amount ingested and the size of the pet. Symptoms include loss of appetite, lethargy, drooling, diarrhea, vomiting, and—without treatment—seizures, possible coma, and death.

Treatment

If you witness any of the above symptoms in your pet, rush them to the nearest veterinary emergency room. Your veterinarian may induce vomiting to rid the body of the toxin, or administer activated charcoal to slow the poison’s absorption. Fluid therapy, oxygen supplementation, and other supportive measures may be needed as your pet recovers.

Preventing Episodes

Obviously, it’s easier to prevent an episode of xylitol poisoning rather than deal with it after the fact. Preventing xylitol poisoning is easy—store products containing xylitol inside of closed containers or cabinets where pets can’t reach them. Never leave candy, gum, or baked goods out on countertops where pets could gain access.

Ask your veterinarians Hinesville, GA for more information.